I think we’re all obsessed with our hair - the daily ritualized pruning that we do, and the way in which we spend
a lot of our time putting hair on, or ripping it off.
Hair fall, hair thinning and balding can be quite a difficult and traumatizing experience for all. With every bald patch and every falling hair strand, the confidence of the person begins to fall apart. The person becomes increasingly conscious of his/her appearance. Hair fall problems are so common that an average person becomes extremely scared seeing even some amount of hair fall. So here is a short guide for you to understand your hair loss problem.
How much hair fall is normal?
Hair fall in women, to some extent, is normal since hair fall is more noticeable in long hair. A person loses 50 to 100 strands of hair every day. With over 1,00,000 hair follicles on the scalp, losing more than 125 strands can be considered a cause of worry.
What are the top 6 causes of hair loss?
Hair loss can be caused by a variety of internal and external factors. Read further to know the top 6 causes of hair loss. They are:
- GENETIC: Your carelessness may not always be the cause of a balding mane. Unfortunately, you can inherit your receding hairline from your parents. Any home remedy or treatment may fail owing to your genes.
- DIET: Fast-past life and this ‘McDonalds-culture’ has caused us to lose out on an essential balanced diet. Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D are especially important to keep your tresses healthy. Missing out on essential nutrients can cause sudden hair shedding in both males and females. On the other hand, too much intake of Vitamin A can also be a cause of temporary hair loss.
- OVERSTYLING: With an array of hair-styling tools in the market, one is inclined to style their hair daily. Whether it is the straight sleek look or the soft beachy curls, styling requires extremely hot hair tools which damage the hair and weaken it. Without a heat protectant serum, this damage can cause immense hair loss in the long run.
- DISEASES: Ailments that can cause a receding hairline include hypothyroidism, alopecia areata(an autoimmune disease that attacks hair follicles), scalp infections like ringworm, and trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder).
- MEDICATIONS: Medications like chemotherapy, antidepressants and blood thinners interfere with hair growth and cause baldness.
- POLLUTION: All types of pollution can cause hair problems. Air and water pollution have a direct impact on the health of the hair. Washing your hair with hard water can be harmful as it strips it of its natural oil making it brittle and eventually causing it to fall off. Soil pollution can indirectly cause nutrient-deficiency in food intake.
Is hair loss permanent?
Trichologists classify hair loss as
- Reversible: Caused by temporary reasons like hormonal changes, stress, vitamin deficiency, etc.
- Permanent: Baldness caused due to the permanent weakening of hair follicle.
An appointment with your trichologist will be best to judge your thinning hair and receding hairline. Innovation in medication and technology can now treat both reversible and permanent hair loss. Latest technologies like FUE and FUT has helped many people with permanent hair loss get their confidence back. You too can treat your hair loss medically or technologically.